Mary-Janice
KUCHING: A witness told the Election Court yesterday that he voted for DAP candidate Chong Chieng Jen in the March 8 general election after reading about a RM6,000 bonus for those with an annual household income of less than RM6,000 promised in the party’s election manifesto.
Supramaniam Raman, 55, said he received a copy of the manifesto at his home about a week before the elections.
Testifying at the hearing of an election petition brought against Chong by Kho Whai Phiaw, he said the part of the manifesto which interested him was Page Six which mentioned the RM6,000 bonus.
He added that he expected to get the bonus after voting since Chong won the Bandar Kuching parliamentary seat.
“I believed what was stated in the manifesto, that I would get RM6,000 because at that time I was jobless and I only had an income of RM400 to RM500 a month,” he said during examination-in-chief by Kho’s counsel Henry Ling.
On cross-examination by Chong’s counsel Wong Ho Leng, Supramaniam said he became unemployed eight years ago and had been doing odd-jobs since then.
He admitted that he was fired from his job as an office boy in the Immigration Department for being involved in a passport forgery syndicate and sent to the Kamunting detention centre under the Internal Security Act (ISA) for two years and two months.
However, he could not remember when he was sent to Kamunting.
Supramaniam also said that he came to court because he thought he could claim the RM6,000 bonus.
Asked by Wong whether he knew under what circumstances the bonus would be given, he replied: “Once I vote for DAP, I will get the bonus.”
Wong: “I put it to you that you are wrong.”
Supramaniam: “I think that I will get the money. I’m right.”
Wong: “Do you mean that once you have voted for DAP, DAP will give you RM6,000?”
Supramaniam: “Of course.”
Wong: “Do you know that it is an offence to vote for money?”
Supramaniam: “I don’t know. I don’t mind whether they give the money or not.”
The hearing before judge Clement Skinner continues today.
Labels: , | edit post
0 Responses